Members of Yelm High School’s FFA chapter received plenty of well-deserved recognition Tuesday night, June 16, during its end of year banquet and awards ceremony.
For the first time, the event was held over the internet via a streamed YouTube video.
The 2020-2021 chapter officers were also announced.
Those include President Harleyjo Holman, Junior Advisor Caitlyn Garvey, First Vice President Kya Ramirez, Second Vice President BreAnna Short, Third Vice President Natalie McLaughlin, First Secretary Kendall Lawson, Second Olivia Perry, Third Secretary Kylee Olsen, Treasurer Celtan Holmes, Reporter Nora Tarbox, Sentinel Illey Wall, Historian CJ Gubser, Parliamentarian Azariah Carter and Executive Committee members Abagail Ikari, Samuel Toompas and Summer Hildreth.
The following are some of the recognitions, per the club’s Facebook page.
• First year members Ben Carney, Della Cobel, Samuel Toompas, and Tyler Ogelsby were congratulated for their work.
• YHS Principal John Johnson and campus security officer Matt Koehler received honorary chapter degrees.
• Alicia Nelson received the Lamp of Knowledge Award and Mr. Green Jeans recognition.
• Hunter Mohl received recognition as Outstanding Ag Mechanics Student.
• Megan Garcia received recognition as Outstanding Horticulturalist.
• Emily Fanslow was recognized as Outstanding Florist, with Nora Tarbox and Faith Gilpatrick named as honorable mentions.
• Rebecca Griffin was named Outstanding Animal Scientist.
• Tyler Oglesby was named Outstanding Chemistry Student.
• Dylan Lawerence was named Outstanding Landscape Student.
• Mikeal Olsen was named Outstanding Small Engines Student.
• John Paul Scotto took home Outstanding Project recognition.
• The team of Alicia Nelson, Emily Fanslow, Alexandra Roe, Olivia Perry and Santasia Baldridge was recognized for their Nursery Landscape career development event.
• The team of Emily Fanslow, Caitlyn Garvey, Nora Tarbox, BreAnna Short and Taylor Tompkins was recognized for their Floral career development event.
• The team of Noelle Harshfield, Ashtyn Veschio, Soraya Champlin and Azariah Carter was recognized for their Agricultural Communications career development event.
• Teams Alicia Nelson, Olivia Perry, Kylee Olsen, Azariah Carter; and Emma Proffit, Nikolas Viramontes, Isabella Bonham, Glenn Quesenberry were recognized for their Agriculture Sales career development events.
• The team of Anastasia Nicholson, Natalie McLaughlin and Samantha Rohwedder was recognized in Marketing Plan.
• Harleyjo Holman and Kya Ramirez were recognized for their participation in the employment skills event.
• Kaylynn Lingle and Kya Ramirez were recognized for their participation in the prepared public speaking event.
• Peter Dorhauer was recognized for his participation in the extemporaneous speaking event.
• BreAnna Short, Kendal Lawson, Ileana Wall and Caitlyn Garvey were recognized for their participation in the poultry evaluation event.
• Hall Chapters Caitlyn Garvey, Celtan Holmes, Kendal Lawson and BreAnna Short were recognized.
• Megan Garcia, Alicia Nelson and Taylor Tompkins were awarded FFA Alumni scholarships.
• Ileana Wall was recognized with the Star Greenhand Award.
• Eli Klein was recognized with the Star Chapter Degree Award.
• BreAnna Short was recognized with the FFA Advisor Award.
• Alicia Nelson was recognized with the Dekalb Award.
• Kaylynn Lingle was recognized with the Blue and Gold Award.
• Damon Heard-Shakelford was recognized as an Outstanding FFA Member.
• Harleyjo Holman was recognized with the Presidents Award.
To watch the full banquet, visit the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeYj9-EKH0&fbclid=IwAR28ohplHTI1PgcXa90WpeQZeEePDQPULYqIvrFhpk118A7_hrgzMAvQztc.
Advisor Matt Mounts said it was important to recognize these students this year, and noted the time and effort staff and students put into the virtual banquet a reality.
“I think all of us, we wish we could have done it in person, but we felt like this was the next best thing and we hope people enjoy it,” he said.