YAKIMA — Two local athletes got to the top of the podium Friday, winning individual state titles at the 1B/2B/1A championships at Zaepfel Field in Yakima.
On the girls’ side, Rainier’s Ella Marvin came away with the gold in the 2B girls pole vault, clearing 9 feet, 9 inches.
Onalaska’s Kelsi Haas and Kalama’s Alena Ross both cleared the height as well, and all three District 4 vaulters failed to clear at 10 feet. Going back to previous heights, Ross was dropped to third for needing two attempts to clear 9-9, and Marvin took the tiebreaker over Haas for needing one fewer go at 9 feet, 6 inches to get over the bar.
The height is an improvement of over 2 feet from last year for Marvin, who finished 10th at the 2022 championships with a height of 7 feet, 6 inches.
On the boys’ side, Toledo’s Conner Olmstead got his time in the finals going with a title in the 2B high jump, winning by clearing 6 feet, 3 inches to beat out Reardan’s Richard Alsept.
Morton-White Pass put two boys in the top four of the long jump, with Tony Belgiorno finishing second at 20 feet, 9.5 inches, and Max Lowe finishing fourth at 20 feet, 0.25 inches.
Matthew Kenney made it two Mountaineers to get on a podium, taking seventh in the 2B boys shot put (44 feet, 0.5 inches). Brooklyn Sandridge joined Haas as a place with an eighth-place finish in the 2B girls discus (102 feet, 1 inch).
Napavine’s Colin Shields, who just missed out on the podium in the javelin, made it in the shot put, taking fifth at 45 feet, 0.75 inches. On the girls’ side, Morgan Hamilton was fourth in the long jump at 16 feet, 5.25 inches.
Adna’s Lillian Boyd Jr. placed seventh in the 2B girls discus at 104 feet, 3 inches.
In the 1A ranks, Trinity Tafoya got Tenino on the podium, taking sixth in the shot put at 36 feet, 9.5 inches.
Qualified For Finals on Saturday
- Girls 4x200 relay (Marshall, Contreras, Marshall, Mendoza)
- Girls 4x100 relay (53.33)
- Boys 4x100 relay (47.85)
- Boys 4x400 (3:43.12)
- Matt Cooper 800m (2:03.88)
- Christian Paz Tapia 800m (2:04.03)
- Carter Phelps 110m hurdles (16.89)
- Calan McCarty 110m hurdles (17.49)
- Charlie Carper 100m hurdles (17.74)
- Max O’Neill 200m (22.71)
- Girls 4x100 relay (52.73)
- Morgan Hamilton 400m (1:02.38)
- Jordan Stout 800m (2:03.28)
- Girls 4x100 relay (54.10)
- Reagan Naillon 400m (1:04.38)
- Jordan Mckenzie 400m (52.02) and 200m (23.37)
- Boys 4x400 relay (3:36.66)
- Tony Belgiorno 400m (51.97)
- Victoria Sancho 200m (27.00)
- Boys 4x400 (3:42.34)
- Ben Russon 800m (2:03.70)
- Melissa Reiman 800m (2:30.53)
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here