Yelm Police Department
Domestic Violence Arrest
• On Monday, Aug. 5, Yelm police arrested Joseph M. Hamilton, of Yelm, for allegedly assaulting a woman and then resisting arrest. Officers responded to the 9300 block of Prairie Wind St. Southeast after the woman reported he busted into her house while she was showering. The 911 call was disconnected, so officers approached the house, where they could hear a man and woman yelling. Hamilton became combative and struggled to pull away from officers both inside the house and in a patrol car, where he beat his head against the window and threatened to break it. A witness said Hamilton had punched the woman in the face, but the victim declined to be photographed or answer additional questions. Hamilton was jailed on charges of fourth-degree assault and obstructing a public servant.
Burglary at Church
• A burglary was reported at First Baptist Church at 602 103rd Ave. NE in Yelm on Friday, Aug. 9. The pastor reported that three outbuildings had been forced open. Stolen items included a ladder, a lawnmower battery and a wagon. Surveillance footage showed a white male suspect wearing a camouflage hat, a black buttoned-down jacket, a red undershirt, dirty gray pants and black shoes. He was carrying a backpack as well as a metal device used to force open padlocks. The suspect acted alone and was on the property from 3 to 4 a.m. He left pulling the wagon north toward 103rd Avenue Northwest. At 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 10, officers conducting a dog track in a separate case encountered a 23-year-old transient who matched the description of the burglary suspect walking near Walmart. While they didn’t arrest him because they were busy with another case, they did take photos of him for use in the burglary investigation.
Shoplifting Becomes Robbery
• Employees of the Sunbird Shopping Center attempted to stop a man after he put on a new pair of shoes and walked out without paying at about 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 10. The suspect pushed an employee who confronted him before running to a Mitsubishi Eclipse and fleeing the area. Several employees attempted to stand in front of the vehicle to prevent him from leaving, but they were forced to get out of the way as the vehicle fled onto Plaza Drive toward 103rd Avenue. The suspect is described as being about 40 years old with short hair standing 6-foot-2 and weighing 250 pounds. He was also missing teeth. Police have a suspect in the case, but he hasn’t been located. The stolen shoes were valued at $98.16.
‘Not My Pants,’ Says Man Arrested for Meth
• Lewis Squally, 37, of Yelm, was arrested for possession of methamphetamine in the 9000 block of Prairie Wind Street Southeast at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 10. An officer in the neighborhood initially spotted Squally coming out of a house. He moved in to detain him because of an outstanding warrant. Squally, who initially ran into his garage, stopped at the demand of the officer. While being placed under arrest for the warrant, Squally told the officer he didn’t know whose pants he was wearing and that he had pulled them from a dryer. The officer found a clear plastic bag with 2 grams of meth in one of the pockets.
Gas Stolen From Buses
• Sometime between 3:30 p.m. Aug. 1 and 9:30 a.m. Aug. 5, someone unlawfully entered the fenced area at the Yelm Community Schools Support Center and siphoned gasoline from two school buses. A staff member estimated about 25 gallons had been taken. He suspected someone squeezed through the gate on the east side of the facility. Review of surveillance video didn’t produce anything of evidentiary value, according to a police report.