Toxic algae blooms are present

A toxic algae advisory for Lake Lawrence has been lifted, according to a press release from the Environmental Health Division of Thurston County Public Health and Social Services.

The announcement was made Friday.

The toxin microcystin was found above advisory levels in a sample collected on Wednesday, Oct. 9.

The liver toxin was found at a level of 18.0 ugl/L while the Washington state recreational advisory level is 6.0 ug/L.

Environmental Health division staff said they would collect samples weekly until the algae bloom cleared.

When a the bloom is present, the county recommends extra precautions be taken to avoid health risks posed by potential toxins.

• Do not drink the lake water.

• Avoid contact with water containing algae. Do not swim or water ski in area with algae.

• Keep pets and livestock away from areas where algae blooms are present.

• When fishing, use only catch and release of any fish caught during an algae bloom.

• Do not eat fish that come from the lake during the algae bloom.

• Avoid areas of scum when boating.

Residents can learn more about toxic algae blooms and associated health risks by visiting or by calling 360-867-2626.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.